Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Turning Back Time

Dear 14 Year Old Shasta,

Greetings, young one! This is yourself about thirteen years into the future. I just wanted to check in on you and see how you're doing. You've been uncharacteristically quiet lately, like, really quiet and this is concerning because you typically have a way with words as evidenced by your parents' monthly phone bills and your endless journalling that would put James Joyce to shame (in terms of quantity anyway, though some of his work is a little willy-nilly if you ask me).

The love you have for your own voice is admirable and truly uncanny, so hearing this kind of radio silence is awfully unlike you.

So, what's up? Give it to me straight! Let's get real!

Isn't that what you say in 2001-speak? No? OK, well, let me chat a little bit first because if there is anything that hasn't changed in these thirteen years, it's my love for self-narration!

But it's not just talking, is it? We want to be heard. We have something to say. We don't have journal after journal after journal bursting with thoughts and ideas for nothing, right?

But you're 14 and no one wants to listens to you, or at least that's how it feels. I'll be honest, I am just an older version of you, but you nonetheless, and I still have no idea what the hell you were talking about at 14 because I wasn't listening either.

Sorry.

Understandably so, you're starting to feel as if no one is listening because what you have to say isn't all that important. Maybe your ideas aren't as cool and brilliant as you initially thought.

These are disconcerting feelings, so I understand why you want to keep your head low, stop raising your hand, and take a step back from the podium. I understand why you want to set aside the pen and paper since no one seems to care about what you're saying. Maybe you should even try a sport, like your friends have, to fill up your time.

Don't do this, though. For God's sake, do not do any of that.

In fact, do just the opposite! Hold your head up so high that your neck hurts! Raise your hand because the words will come, they always do! Step up and say something! Write it down too, then write it down some more.

(And as far as sports, well, good luck to you, kid. You're going to have some moderate success with running, but we weren't blessed with a whole lot else in the athletic department. And to be fair, none of your friends, and I truly mean NONE of them, grow up to be professional athletes, so you're going to get the last laugh on this, I promise.)

It really doesn't matter if no one hears you or gets what you're saying because the most important person already received the message. And guess what? That person is you.

No one is going to listen if you don't feel passionate about you have to say. No one is going to read what you wrote if you aren't confident with the words you chose to write in the first place. The only reason why you should be passionate and confident about your voice, though, is because you like it.

You're already a little strange and maybe a bit too intense for most people, but these are wonderful, awesome things about you. The people that appreciate these things about you are going to be the people you want to hang out with anyway.

I know you wanted me to tell you all about the future and what takes place in the next senatorial election that you weirdly care a lot about for some reason (I will tell you this: You lose interest in these real quick when you get the ability to vote. It's the curse of having a more glamorous president in my day and age.) But I just wanted to give you a little bit of sage, sisterly advice since, you know, I happen to be a more experienced and accomplished person than you.

Luckily for you, though, you end up being ME when you're grown up!

Wait, this doesn't bring you tears of joy? Why aren't you ecstatic? OK, so maybe I'm not exactly qualified to give advice just yet because I rarely floss nor do I always remember to bring my reusable shopping bags to the store, but you could stand to learn a thing or two from me, young lady!

All I'm saying is embrace your teenage years doing what you love even if no one else seems to love it with you. That sounds a little trite, I know, but it comes with my old age.

And whatever you're doing with your eyebrows, please stop tweezing. Just stop that one thing, and you'll be fine.

Sincerely,

Shasta the Adult
Sage Advice Donor, Esquire

No comments:

Post a Comment