Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

I Live Here, But You Aren't Invited, Except on the Internet...Part One




I spend a lot of time looking through old Domino magazines, home design books, and DIY websites (I love YHL. LOVE!) to muster up some inspiration for our own apartment.

Now, don't get me wrong, we don't live in a super swanky place by any means. I hear the garbage truck every morning, and I'm pretty sure there is some kind of stray cat fighting ring going on in the night.

But, this is our first home together, even though we have been married for over a year. I know, that's weird, right? We know. Even still, I really wanted to make our temporary apartment a nice place to be inside of because that is what wives do.

Just call me June Cleaver.

Now, I know we won't live here forever (less than a year, ha) but I don't think that means we should live amongst boxes of stuff and rooms full of unpacked crap for the entire time. I need shiny, pretty things to look at.

Master Bedroom...the bed is usually NEVERrrRR made.
This is my favorite room because it's primarily mine, and it is extremely relaxing to be in what with the dark furniture, subtle colors, and the best mattress EVER. Seriously, our mattress is heaven.

The TV cabinet to the left was a BITCH to carry up the stairs (according to my husband). And yes, I left some random shit under those pictures. Woops.

While I do share the room with my husband, of course, I have a wonderful vanity while he has, uh, a lamp. And no, our room is not usually this yellow tinted or blurry. I only have a little point and shoot camera, and the "natural" light bulbs in all of our lamps just came off as super yellow. Our room is definitely soft whites, blues, and dark woods and other fancy design words.

Yes, that is a little penguin pillow pet in our bed. He is my BFF.
I guess I like this room so much because it's not kiddish or juvenile in any way (minus the penguin). It's like real grown-ups actually live here. Ha ha ha, oh optical illusions.


I know it might seem like I totally did not let my husband pick anything out, and that's because I totally did not let him pick anything out. He doesn't have bad taste or anything; I just have better taste, so everything is now our taste now. It wasn't even a compromise; just an acceptance of fact.

This is my side of the room. That sweet little vanity? A gift from my husband because he knows I have a Sephora habit.
 There is still a long way to go when it comes to finishing up the room. Here is list that I have come up with so far:

1) Figure out what to hang over the bed - a headboard? a painting? arrangement of interesting art?
2) Find a better way/place for us to drop our work clothes - a storage ottoman? a mini dresser? a chair?
3) Hide the TV/cable/lamp cords. I HATE seeing cords.

Next time, I'll show you the living room where most of these posts are written from because I still have yet to find a desk that I like! Yeah, I have some very particular criteria about desks, so that search may never end.


No comments:

Post a Comment