Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I'm Not Very Good at Exercise

I admire people who can wake up every morning and throw themselves into their workout routines with energy and discipline.

I do not do that.

At all.

I love snoozing all morning long until I'm almost too late to get out the door in time, and I resent morning workouts because they interrupt my blissful sleep. Rude.

Me: I'm going to run 5 miles straight, non-stop on this treadmill!

My Legs: Hell yeah! Let's do this!

My Mind: Excuse me, but WHY?

Me: I need to be workin' on my fitness...you're my witness. Now get your act together and get in THE ZONE already. Let's Steve Prefontaine this shiznit!

My Mind: You know he's dead, right?

Me: Yeah, I know, but he was an amazing athlete, and I read his book and here I am trying to take a page out of it. Let's enjoy this and be inspired!

My Legs: Um, OK sure, but are we going to run at this pace the whole time?

Me: Yes. I'm going to bump it up later on, so this is just a warm-up!

My Legs: OMG, why are you so mean?! Are you crazy?! Slow is steady and fast is...sucky, or whatever.

Me: C'mon, you can't be tired already! We've barely gone a mile!

My Mind: We actually haven't gone anywhere since we're on a treadmill. We're still here. In front of a mirror. In the same spot. Every step you take brings you nowhere.

Me: You are NOT helping.

My Legs: I feel....floppy...I might buckle at any moment. This is becoming a hazard.

Me: Well, if you'd just PICK IT UP a bit, then maybe we wouldn't sound like a damn stampede of dying buffalo.

My Mind: We are rather loud...do you think everyone can hear us? God, I bet they can at least hear you breathing over here.

Me: ....No.....they cannot.

My Mind: Are you feeling thirsty? You're actually not looking so good. Let's stop and get a drink of water.

My Legs: Yeah! Water! Water!

Me: I am running 5 miles SOHELPMEGOD.

My Mind: OK, fine...just know those girls are staring at you.

Me: Only because they are jealous of my discipline and cheetah-like speed.

My Legs: Or because you're bright red and sweaty...at least I am.

My Mind: And they can hear you grunting and it's slightly disturbing.

Me: I am NOT grunting...heeehhhh...heeehhhh

My Mind: That's the sound of you grunting.

My Legs: You know, a walk sounds nice right about now. I think we'd all feel better if we just went on a walk together, you know? It'd really mellow things out.

Me: I am NOT walking...this really isn't so bad. I feel...good...ish. I mean, I know I'll feel good later!

My Mind: There's a 30-minute limit on all cardio machines, and do you really think you'll be done with 5 miles in that time frame? I think not.

Me: That's only when there is a WAIT. No one is waiting on a treadmill!

My Mind: That's because no one wants to be running near you with your airborne sweat and animal noises.

My Legs: Are we there yet?!

My Mind: There! Over there! He's waiting on a treadmill! I just know it!

Me: You think?

My Mind: Yeah! And...um, he looks like he's waiting on this one.

My Legs: Let's not be rude to the poor guy....he just wants to run too...

Me: But we still have over 3 miles to go...? I'm going to feel so unaccomplished.

My Mind: There's an elliptical open....

Me: .......

My Legs: C'moonnnnn, you know you want to....

Me: I feel like an awkward adolescent gazelle on the elliptical...

My Mind: But you look like an ungraceful bag of potatoes on the treadmill....

Me: That was unnecessary.

....

....

Me: OK, let's go on the elliptical...

My Legs: Allriiiiight, a break!

My Mind: Why can't we just go on a walk....

Me: Oh, fuck it, let's go eat some cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment